Tuesday, June 9, 2009

AAAAGH!!! Computer Crash!!!

So here's the story:

I've been getting behind because my dear old computer is just so old. So I bought more RAM. Worked great for a while. Well, my hard drive filled up from all the photos...No problem, I bought an external hard drive. It came last week. Was heaven sent! Put all my photos and videos on it so I could make room on my hard drive so my computer would work again. My printer broke. Got a new printer. Finally was installing it today and....Suddenly my computer wigged out!! My new hard drive had a "fatal error". The message said it needed to be replaced. My folders were there, but they were EMPTY! Yes, my computer was showing that I had lost ALL of my pictures and videos. Now I wigged out. Yes, I still have dried up mascara all over my face. It was as if someone had died. Russell and Bennett didn't know how to react to my sobbing and screaming. Now you may ask "hadn't you made any backups???" Well, yeah, but not of the recent stuff, AND usually only of my RAW files so all of my converting and editing from many shoots were gone. Not to mention precious videos of my babies that I hadn't yet backed up!!! Well being the "engineer" that I am, I tried every possible solution and trial I could think of. Come to find out, all of the USB drives on my lowly old computer had blown out from adding one more (the printer) USB connection. YES!!!!! My external hard drive showed up on Russ's laptop and all my precious files were still there!!!!!!!!!!!!! You can imagine my relief. I cried some more!!!

SO right now? I am making a million CD backups of everything on my computer, and tonight I will make CDs of everything on my external hard drive from Russ's laptop.

What else does this mean?? I am buying a new computer TONIGHT! I am not joking that literally seconds before the crash I was telling Russ we could probably get at least one more year out of our computer.

What else does this mean? Well, I will probably get even more behind on the shoots because I have everything I need (photoshop, photo uploading software for print orders, etc.) on this computer. I will try to use Russ's laptop as much as possible 'til my new computer comes, but we'll have to see...

Not to mention when I get the new computer, I will have to completely set it up and load all of my software, etc. again.

So please be patient with me. If you have any questions, you can e-mail me!


Thanks for reading my story...If you did get to the end here :)

1 comment:

Heather Fernelius said...

Well that really sucks. I do;t even know half of the words you are using so I really feel for you. Good luck. Let me know if I can take the kids for some time for you to work. Heather